Thursday, September 29, 2011

Schubert Piano Trio in B Flat

This recording of the Schubert Piano Trio in B Flat was made in 1965, according to the label. The performance, by the Suk Trio, was recorded in Europe (likely in Czechoslovakia) by the Supraphon label and was given release on the LP I have in 1974 by the Vanguard company. Vanguard had a much more popular reputation for issuing folk, jazz and blues records in the US, but they did have an impressive Classical catalog as well. Supraphon was a Czech company and outsourced a good deal of their recordings to US labels over the years (I have some Supraphon recordings issued by Atlantic Records in the US as well). As such, the recording quality is very good and the pressing was done, as with all Vanguard records of this era, by Columbia/CBS in the US.

I like Piano Trio music. I think the combination of Violin, Cello and Piano really lends itself to some interesting textures and interplay. Was this considered "Chamber Music"? Maybe - whatever its called  it works for me. Schubert is more known for his "songs" - lieder. I have some of that - still working on a proper appreciation of that genre, but this music is instantly enjoyable. I first read the name of Schubert on the back of the UK edition of the Beatles Yellow Submarine album. There was a lengthy article printed there which compared the songwriting team of Lennon and McCartney to Schubert in terms of output. I was about 7 years old and I had no idea who this Schubert guy was.

While still in grade school, I chose Schubert as a subject to do a small book report on (they had one of those kid-designed Schubert biographies in the library). Somehow, the bio failed to inspire much interest in seeking out Schubert's music at that age (a signal that I was at least halfway "normal" I suppose). But I do remember being surprised to learn of Schubert's short life considering his output - that made an impression. These days, I still don't have much Schubert in my collection, but this record is a good step in the direction of changing that. The overall mood of this music is almost excessively optimistic - almost. Not saccharine, thankfully, but certainly cheerful. Which, at the right times, is most certainly welcome.

So, anyway -the trio is led here by Czech violinist Josef Suk who, as the liner notes relate, is the great-grandson of Dvorak. And, from what I can hear, grandpa would be proud. Good stuff if you like cheerful Piano Trio music - and why not? There's no shortage to downer musical vibes out in the so-called "real world" - has uplifting music become a quaintly outmoded concept? Don't get me wrong - I'm still trying to dig deeper into the Schubert catalog myself, but I will recommend this disc. Especially if you can get it for what I paid for it - that's right - $1!


No comments:

Post a Comment