Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Tokyo String Quartet

String Quartets from Debussy (G Minor) and Ravel (F Major). This Columbia Masterworks release from 1979 is in pretty nice shape. The sound is excellent and the performance is striking - the quartet sounds more like one instrument than four separate instruments. I reckon that last observation reveals just how little exposure to string quartet music I can claim to have had over the years. As it happens, it's been a bit of a struggle for me to find greater appreciation for string quartet music so far. I honestly thought I would enjoy it more than I do, but this record is an exception. The pieces are very reflective of the tonalities associated with the more popular works from these composers so it feels like familiar territory which, at least for me, is a plus.
As I pointed out in my initial post, I consider myself highly unqualified to evaluate this music on any serious level, but this record proves to me that once in a while it can be rewarding to listen beyond the comfort zone to explore new sounds. I have no idea how many other records the Tokyo String Quartet put out, but I would buy them - especially at the deep discount price I paid for this ----- $1! Happy listening!

No comments:

Post a Comment