Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Leontyne Price Sings Strauss

Opera, you say? Now, if I'm as challenged as I freely admit to being when it comes to classical music in general you can only imagine how clueless I am about opera. I can appreciate that it takes a lot of training and discipline to have that kind of control over the human voice which is impressive in itself. Yet, I think I would have to research story-lines and plots of operas before I could appreciate the art form as a whole. I did attend a production of La Boheme at Lincoln Center when I was in high school (class trip). Generally enjoyable - did it rock my socks? Not exactly. Doesn't help when lyrics are in a language I don't speak........from everything I've read (so far) it seems that opera was the more popular expression of art music in Europe from Mozart's time onward (even before Mozart, really). Makes sense considering there were no films to see, TV shows to watch, etc........opera was, essentially, all about the "show", the production of which music played an important, yet ultimately a secondary, role.

Of course, I could be totally off my rocker when it comes to this analysis, because I am essentially clueless. So what possessed me to actually spend money on a few opera records? Well, aside from the cheapnis factor I figured it would be interesting to stretch my ears a little and see if I didn't totally hate this kind of music. And, as it happens - I don't totally hate this kind of music. Do I understand it? Heck no, but that isn't the point. I actually picked up one of those Living Stereo sacds of Leontyne Price (the famous Blue Album) on a recommendation a few years ago and did some research on Ms. Price - she's quite a fascinating person! (I'll let you google her on your own - well worth the effort to check out her story.) The sacd is still a work in progress for me, but I picked this LP up for $1 and just pulled it from the stacks on a whim last night.

Wow! Now, I'm not the biggest fan of Richard Strauss either, but side one of this record (the Four Last Songs) really turned my ears around. Beautiful music here! There was no work involved in finding enjoyment from these pieces. The second side had a bit more dramatic vocalizing, but for me side one really makes it. It helps that the record comes with a booklet of translations from the original German into English (jolly good!). I'll return to this LP a lot in the future I can tell. What else is so darned appealing about this stuff? The fact that it is so far removed from the reality of postmodern experience - the hustlebustle of modern life - phooey on that (at least for today....)!

I have a few other Leontyne Price records I need to spend time with. If they're anywhere near as inspirational as this one I'll be reporting back here. Bright Moments, y'all!

No comments:

Post a Comment