Monday, August 17, 2015

I don't watch TV – I listen to music. Too much or not enough?


      To tell the truth - when I was growing up I watched a TON of television. And I have fond memories of the shows I liked as many of my peers do. Yet, there was a conscious break with TV that happened for me. Since there was only one set in my house growing up - in the living room - by the time I was in high school I preferred listening to music in my room instead of watching the tube. Maybe I'd get to watch some late-night TV once in awhile, but the prime-time world ended for me back about 1985 or so. And I'm cool with that. However, it renders me pretty boring company when conversations turn to the latest shows. I usually have nothing interesting to add or say at those times - oh well. I don't knock how folks find their entertainment - its just a habit I got out of and never went back to. TV access at college was pretty minimal too so I just generally unplugged from that point forward. Of course, I waste enough time online to make up for it so really I can't judge for sure.........however, less TV time means more music listening time. And reading and writing - though not so much of the latter lately.......

     I know its been awhile since my last post here – perhaps the longest gap between entries so far. How quickly time can skitter away before one's very consciousness. I've been listening to plenty of music since the last entry, though I haven't managed to get through all the more recent aquisitions. Reflecting a bit more I noticed a pattern when looking over the LPs I've been playing since April - new stuff mixed in with old favorites. The idea of having old favorites in the classical genre is a pretty new concept actually! And I like that my listening has developed to that point. Yet, I need to play some newer items more frequently. Like this:
Music for solo winds and string orchestra by various American composers (20th century) performed by the Eastman-Rochester Symphony Orchestra in glorious Mercury mono sound. I picked this up a few months back and although it is a little crackly in parts I find myself captivated by the pieces here. Most of the composers I'd never heard from before - Wayne Barlow, Kent Kennan, Homer Keller, etc......True to form for me I'm not so conscious of which piece is which when I put the record on. I just get sucked into the great music and before I know what's happened both sides are over and I've emerged on the other side. That's the kind of thing I like to experience! This record comes from something noted on the sleeve as "American Music Festival - Series Volume 4". I have no idea how many other volumes exist - though I'm likely to snap up the rest if I see them. I can heartily recommend this LP - especially if you see one in good shape for a buck like I did.

I also recently took delivery of the complete (officially numbered pieces) output of Anton Webern on this three CD set which I found online for about $6 new!
Webern is the last of the three major Second Vienna School composers I've been trying to dip my ear into since reading the Alex Ross book The Rest is Noise. In fact, I really haven't quite finished that book yet as I'm still slowly building a listening library around the stories there. I reckon it will carry me along the rest of my natural life - which won't be over for awhile I sincerely hope - I've got a lot of listening to do!! Anyway I played just the first disc of this set and found the results to be quite musical and enjoyable. Webern had a pretty sad end to his life and appears to be accused of being too supportive of the German government during WWII for many folks' taste. Perhaps it isn't a fair thing to measure the value of a person's music in relation to their political outlook (or lack of it). Webern's music is certainly not overtly political which works for me. As usual I find the music fascinating and wonder if I will ever comprehend the complexity beneath the enjoyable sounds.

And that's also the tip of the iceberg of CDs I still have yet to give more ear-time to. As far as the LPs go here's what's been spinning since April:

 No matter how many copies of the Grand Canyon Suite and the New World Symphony I have I still can be persuaded to pick up other interesting versions. I really need to do more fun shoot-outs in the future!



 The above four LPs were new items as well - need to spin 'em again for good measure soon!
 Oh, this Jasun Martz record is interesting experimental 20th century modern stuff - nice clear vinyl too.




 More old favorites here..............




 I like this Claus Ogerman music a lot - don't judge a man by his sweater is all I can say!


 This Medieval Irish Harp music record is pretty amazing. Five stars from me!

 I need to play this Rubbra album more often - it hasn't stuck in my brain enough. This is Symphony #7 of his. How many did he write? I have no idea. Need to hear more.........more! More, I tell you!


 Some Beethoven 5ths. Can't remember the results of the shootout. I'll bet the Klemperer was a contender, though.

 Hey - a non-boring Elgar record! Need to spin it again...............



 Nice old Sibelius 2nd here. Really early RCA red-label LP - prior to the "shaded dog" era.



 Stravinsky's AGON is really good. Wound up with more Igor LPs I'm still going through......

 Oh, I like this - a private pressing of Alan Hovhaness's 11th Symphony. It goes to "eleven". This was done on his own private "Posiedon Society" label. Hang on, is that a typo? Was it supposed to be Poseidon? Hmmmmmm.......no idea. Good music in any case.


 Great version of Nocturnes, the Nielsen 4th and some new-to-me pieces by Randall Thompson and Henry Cowell. That Nielsen record is a US Decca Gold Label pressing - stereo in fact. And boy was I prepared for the worst with that thing. Beyond all rational logic - it's a quiet disc and sounds far better than it has a right to. Maybe it was never played much? Looks like it. I enjoyed that Nielsen 4th so much I'm reconsidering my previous wariness towards US Decca classical LPs. Perhaps it helps that I was listening on the Bogen / Lenco turntable. I have a Shure M75 fitted with a conical stylus and I'll be darned if it doesn't sound pretty fab. If that tonearm could handle a finer stylus tip I'm sure it would be even better, but I have to say that M75 sounds "right" with this machine.
 Another New World Symphony.......told you...........





 I count this Tubular Bells record as "classical" - well, at least its orchestral!


 When I recently spun this Ligeti album I realized I needed to be in the mood for it. Great stuff, but not for "anytime". Need to give it another chance though.............
 Shostakovich's 6th struck me as much more mellow and cerebral on this LP than I remembered it being before. I have no idea what it has to do with the images on the front cover - if anything at all.
 Richter plays Mozart - and he does very well! Too bad this LP needs the wood glue treatment - on the pile it goes!
This Columbia LP is from 1949 and plays like it was pressed yesterday. I love stuff like this. Cool music by Saint-Saens and Satie.

So, if you're turntable-ready and looking for different sounds to counteract the usual media-flow from the tube - consider the above for diversion and amusement. As always - keep your ears open and enjoy the sounds!!

No comments:

Post a Comment