Thursday, June 12, 2014

Excellent Van Dyke Parks Editorial!

 
 Van Dyke Parks is one of the most talented figures in popular music of our times. He is a brilliant songwriter and all-around music scholar. I read this recent article he wrote which has a focus on the problems songwriters are facing in the current age of downloading and streaming music. Over the course of the article he touches on a few points that I also have echoed in my last few posts here - though Van Dyke has a much more sophisticated way of expressing himself than I ever will!

Specifically he mentions how the current trend in "filler music" leans too heavily on modern rock-based sounds and why this trend may be happening (with the gradual disappearance of acoustic-based ensemble music). I knew I wasn't the only one to notice this stuff. But don't take it from me - check out Van Dyke's thought-provoking article here:   VAN DYKE PARKS TELLS IT LIKE IT IS

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment