Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Julian Bream and Classical Guitar

         Here's my latest Juilan Bream score. Just happens to be a duet record with John Williams. I really enjoy the classical guitar records both of these guys have put out - I have a handful from each so far. Normally John Williams records are on the Columbia label and Juilian Bream's are on RCA. Man, that sleeve sure screams 1972 doesn't it? The music within is a great collection of baroque and classical pieces - most of which I'm not familiar with. The exception being "Pavane for a Dead Princess" by Ravel.

        The first time I heard that Ravel composition was watching Larry Coryell perform it live - quite a captivating performance! I've been a fan of that piece ever since. The version on the record above is pretty awesome, but in my mind that will always be Larry Coryell's thing. In general, I really enjoy acoustic guitar music. It's only in the past few years I've managed to find some classical guitar records and I have yet to be disappointed. Just awesome stuff! There are plenty of John Williams and Julian Bream records floating around out there at Goodwill shops and the like. I especially like Julian Bream's releases on RCA. Even the floppy dynaflex jobs sound pretty good to me. Here's a few other records I like of his:
        Just great stuff! I could listen all day long to classical guitar music. I have a few other Julian Bream albums I rescued from Goodwill bins I'll have to get around to posting one of these days. No matter how garish the cover - for $1 you just can't go wrong. Bright Moments!

No comments:

Post a Comment